Castlefergus was built about 1490 by Hugh son of Donnchadh MacNamara. The ‘Fergus’ in its title is drawn from the river Fergus nearby while its other name is taken from the Hannons, a Dalcassian sept whose patrimonial lands were in this area. Samuel Lewis, wrote in 1837, that Castlefergus was: “The fine modern residence” of William Smith Blood Esq. The tower house was bought and greatly renewed in 1970.
This article written by Clare historians Martin Breen and Ristéard UaCróinín provides an overview of Castle Fergus and is well worth a read. The authors describe the castle as a “beautiful example of mediaeval restoration at its finest”. They point out that the castle is constructed of rubble limestone and contains some well carved features and dressings including an unusual double light, cusped, ogee-headedangle loop at 1st floor level in the SW corner”. The paper contains interesting internal and external photos.
Click here to read the full article on the Castlefergus or Ballyhannon Castle a Living Stronghold
Reference – 2014, The Other Clare, Vol 38