Know Your Townlands – Feaghquin

Feaghquin is known to us all as the location of our playground, Hassetts pub & stables and the exit from the village to Sixmiebridge.

This name translates as Fíoch Chuinche (Fee-ock Cuin-ke) from middle-Irish ‘fíodhach’ meaning ‘abounding in woods’.*The ‘ach’ element denoting “abounding in” or “full of” in middle Irish is now found as ‘agh’ in modern Irish.**

While no longer abounding in woods, it certainly has been abounding in underground features such as eel-holes, caves, and potholes, providing suitable protection for the local bats. It lies south-east of the village and is adjacent to Kildrum to the south and Dangan to the north. It has an area of 76.09 hectares / 0.7609 km²; 0.29 square miles.

 

 

In 1641 the townlands entire 200 plantation acres were in the ownership of Daniel McNamara. In 1659 & 1661 the major owner was Murrough O’Brien. By 1670 this had been forfeited and was in the ownership of John McNamara and Brian McGrath (a transplanted papist), who presumably had sworn allegiance to the post Cromwellian regime. The townland at that stage was almost entirely free of man-made features except where it touched onto the village itself. It was therefore sparsely populated until road access developed.

By 1855, Griffiths Valuation recorded it as home to Rev Daniel Corbett, Pat Halloran, Pat & Catherine Burke and John D Fitzgerald. Margeret Ryan from Feaghquin, who emigrated to the States is mentioned elsewhere as one of its residents. Unusually, it has never been home to any manor or demesne. By this time the road to Sixmiebridge had penetrated its territory (late 1700’s), the village school had been built (1896) and the Newline Road from the village to Cutteen cut through its north eastern edge (famine era).

By 1901 the census records the major families as the Ryans, Moylans, Fahys, Bourkes, Crowes and Frawleys. This did not change much in the following 10 years except for the addition of Meaneys and Cullinanes.

Indeed, much of the same names were probably still to be found until the 1990’s when development began to spill out along the Sixmiebridge and Newmarket-on-Fergus roads. It will likely remain a predominantly rural and agricultural area of Quin into the near future.

 

 

Historical references

1633 FyeghQynhie

Inq.(Cl)Leathanach: 2.303

Inquisitions. Co. Clare (lámhscríbhinn in RIA)Bliain: 1560-1690

c.1655 Fiaquinhy

DS

Down Survey (Barony Maps – Hiberniae Regnum, 1654, cóipeanna a rinne an tSuirbhéireacht Ordanáis ó na bunchóipeanna i bPáras, 1908)Bliain foilsithe: 1655-7

c.1660 Fyaquinhy

BSD (Cl)Leathanach: 147

Books of Survey and Distribution, Co Clare

1677 Feaguiny

ASELeathanach: 236.53

Abstracts of Grants of Lands..under the Acts of Settlement and Explanation, A.D.1666-1684 (Appendix to Fifteenth Annual Report from the Commissioners of Public Records of Ireland, 45-280; 1825)Bliain: 1666-84

1686 Feaquinny

CGLeathanach: 43

Abstracts of Grants of Lands…under The Commission of Grace…1684-1688 (ed. Hatchell, 1839)Bliain: 1684-88

1726 Feighe Quin

CGn.Leathanach: 51.210.33439

Clárlann na nGníomhas/Registry of DeedsNóta: Tagraítear d’imleabhar, leathanach, gníomhas./Reference to volume, page, deed.

1734 ffia Quin

CGn.Leathanach: 75.310.53195

Clárlann na nGníomhas/Registry of DeedsNóta: Tagraítear d’imleabhar, leathanach, gníomhas./Reference to volume, page, deed.

1839 Feeaghquin

BS:AL

Boundary Surveyor c. 1830 as AL / Ordnance Survey Parish Namebooks.Bliain: 1830

1839 FiadhChuínche

OD:AL

O’Donovan (leagan Gaeilge de logainm nó nóta agus é scríofa le dúch; John O’Donovan / Seán Ó Donnabháin a scríobh de ghnáth), ex AL. A note or an Irish form of a placename in the Ordnance Survey Parish Namebooks, usually written by John O’Donovan.Bliain: 1830-40, Bliain: 1835, Bliain: 1838

1839 fiadhchuinche

pl:AL

Nóta nó leagan Gaeilge scríofa i bpeann luaidhe in AL/ Note or Irish form written in pencil in ALBliain: 1838

1839 Feaghquinny QRL:AL

References:

*Justin Ó Gliasáin, An BrainseLogainmneacha / The Placenames Branch

**PW Joyce – Origins of Irish PlacenamesAch, lack, nack, rack, tach, track, soacli.  All these postfixes have a collective signification when placed

after nouns and  generally  convey  the  sense  of  full of, ” abounding  in,”  much  the  same  as  the  English

postfixes fid,?/,  and  om.  In Irish writings, especially if they be ancient, these terminations are often written

ech^  lech,  &c. ;  and  sometimes,  in  compliance  with  a grammatical  custom,  they  are  changed  to  each,  leach,

&c. ;  but  these  changes  do  not  influence  the  anglicised forms.

Ach,  This  is  the  most  common  of  all  Irish  terminations, and  its  most  usual  form  in  anglicised  names

is  agh,  which  is  sounded  with  a  strong  guttural  by the  people,  but  pronounced ‘ah’  by  those  who  cannot

  1. Notice to tenants and occupiers from the High Court of Justice, Chancery – Land Judges, in the matter of the sale of Feaghquin, barony of Bunratty, part of the estate of Mary Anne Molony and others, owners, and the Provincial Bank of Ireland, Ltd., petitioners. With attached schedule and map. 4 Nov. 1890. 3 items.

TCD Downs Survey website

Griffiths Valuation, 1901& 1911 Census websites

 

Michael Maguire

April 2024