Know Your Townlands – Quin Gardens

 

Quin Gardens occupies most of the northern half of the village. It has an area of 69 Hectares/170 acres. It is primarily urban but covers much of the land either side of the road leaving Quin toward Dromoland.

The Irish translation, unsurprisingly, is Gairdíní Chuinche. The name recorded on the Petty Down Survey map for 1641 is Macmiclores but by 1659 it is recorded as Laccarowbeg(Leath Ceathrú Beag?). This last name is recorded as Leaughcarrow in 1825 during the listing of property owners eligible to pay tithes to the Church of Ireland. It is a name applied widely to townlands in Clare as a measurement of both area and productive worth (see ref below).

The boundaries were not ‘fixed’ until the OS survey in the 1830’s so while the village was often excluded up to then, Lecarrow appears to have always applied to the rural southern two-thirds of the townland.

The name Lecarrow is still marked within the townland by the fort just off the road at its south western corner.

The townland is bounded on its southern edge by the River Rine Abha an Rinne, a feature that to this day impacts on its terrain as a result of regular flooding. Much of the land therefore would be deemed to be ‘Liable to Flooding’ and is marshy.

This townland was owned by John McNamara and John McDonogh before the inquisitions but 140 acres were passed to Bartholomew Stackpoole by 1670.

 1825 Tithe Applotment Books

Hastings John Quin Gardens
Collings Thomas Quin Gardens
McInerheny Mat Quin Gardens
Hennessy Michael Quin Gardens
Hallaran Patt Quin Gardens
Corbett Matt Leaughcarrow
Corbett Patt Leaughcarrow
Moylan Lott Leaughcarrow
Moylan Patt Leaughcarrow
Hewitt Robert Leaughcarrow
Corree Michael Leaughcarrow
Nash Patt Leaughcarrow
McNamara Michael

1847 – 1864 Griffiths Valuation recorded property ownership to Moylans, Halpins, Corbetts, Crowe, Dolaghty, Earl of Limerick, Rev Richard Studdert, amongst others.

Patrick Halpin Quingardens
Stephen Moylan Quingardens
Honoria Nash Quingardens
James Corbett Quingardens
Patrick (Bridge) Corbett Quingardens
Michael Corbett Quingardens
Elizabeth Clune Quingardens
Cornelius Halloran Quingardens
Patrick Punch Quingardens
Earl of Limerick Quingardens
Elizabeth Clune Quingardens: Quin Village
Anne Maria Hewitt Quingardens: Quin Village
Margaret Normoyle Quingardens: Quin Village
John Hayes Quingardens: Quin Village
Bridget Lalor Quingardens: Quin Village
John Meade Quingardens: Quin Village
Ellen McMahon Quingardens: Quin Village
Michael Corbett Quingardens: Quin Village
Bryan Daffey Quingardens: Quin Village
Patrick Corbett Quingardens: Quin Village
Thomas Creagh Quingardens: Quin Village
Eliza McGuinness Quingardens: Quin Village
Michael Carmody Quingardens: Quin Village
James Crowe Quingardens: Quin Village
Timothy Dolaghty Quingardens: Quin Village
James Hurley Quingardens: Quin Village
Cornelius Hourigan Quingardens: Quin Village
James Moylan Quingardens: Quin Village
Michael Cody Quingardens: Quin Village
Francis Lynam Quingardens: Quin Village
Denis Lynch Quingardens: Quin Village
Margaret Connor Quingardens: Quin Village
Patrick Moylan Quingardens: Quin Village
Martin Magrath Quingardens: Quin Village
Denis Nash Quingardens: Quin Village
Earl of Limerick Quingardens: Quin Village
Richard, Rev Studdert Quingardens: Quin Village

 

The 1901 census listsMoylans, Halpins in Quin Gardens but merges much of the urban townland, alongside Quinville and Feaghquin into Quin Village. Many of the above names are absent at this stage having been replaced by Clunes, O’Hallorans, McGraths, Moynihans with the Corbetts still featuring prominently. Griffiths valuation would only have listed residents in Quin Gardens who were owners of property and so was not a census list of the time.

The 1911 census showed very little change since the last with Moylans and Halpins the only families outside of the village area. By the 1930’s the Baker, Corbett, Power and Clune families predominated within the village area of the townland.

See mary halpin & paddy baker interviews on this website for an in-depth description of living in this area in the mid 20th century. The Kevin Marlborough interview also to be found here explains about a project to provide electricity from a turbine built near the village bridge just before the electrification of Quin in 1940.

 

Amby Power planting the spuds, the Baker family at evening prayer (mother-in-law Mrs Corbett extreme right). Both families resident in Quin Gardens in the 1930’s.The derelict Baker house still stands alongside the village bridge.

The townland continues to evolve and with the recently constructed development south of the Quin Gardens housing estate and the expansion of the water treatment plant situated here, it may prove to be a driver in the growth of Quin over the coming years. This same field where the new development is taking place belonged to Patrick Hassett in 1942 and was the location for the Quin Agricultural Show.

 

References:

In 1641, it appears as “Macmiclores” in Quin parish and was held by John, son of Donogh McNamara, and in 1659, simply as Laccarowbeg. See: Simington, Books, 148 and Pender, ed., Census, 164.

Units of land measurement – Clare Library: In Clare the common subdivisions of the ‘quarter’ were the ‘half-quarter’ (Leath-ceathrú=sixty acres: e.g. Lecarrow More and Lecarrow Beg in Kilmaley parish), (‘cartron’ or ‘carrowmeer’ (ceathrú mír=thirty acres) and the ‘seiseadh’, or ‘sessiagh’, (i.e. séú cuid or sixth part of the quarter=twenty acres.) But again there were variations, so that once more it becomes necessary to emphasise that the equations given are at best but attempts at reducing land of varying quality to a rough and ready common denominator.10 acres – 1 Gneeve; 2 Gneeves – 1 Sessiagh; 3 Sessiaghs – 1 Tate or Ballyboe; 2 Ballyboes – 1 Ploughland, Seisreagh or Carrow; 4 Ploughlands – 1 Ballybetagh, or Townland; 30 Ballybetaghs – Triocha Céad or Barony.

Life Magazine 1931 – Quin Gardens family photos

Michael Maguire

April 2024