quinheritagroup@gmail.com

Quin Heritage Group

In this post we have extracted an inventory of the local “Big Houses” that were painstakingly recorded by Dr. Hugh W.L. Weir.  I would like to acknowledge with gratitude his permission to use the information from his book “Houses of Clare” published by Ballinakella Press in 1986. The information relevant to the house will be revealed once you click on one of the tabs below.

*** Note – Over time, The Quin Heritage Group will update with information and photographs but whole heartedly welcome contributions from our readers.

ABBEY VIEW, QUIN

Meaning:  View of fifteenth-century Quin Abbey.

Associated families:  O’Brien, Reynolds (Abbey View, Co. Clare 1802), Corbett, Conway, Enright.

Townland: Creevagh More.

Features

The original house was a one-and-a-half storey, four bay, thatched house facing east, with a yard adjoining the north. There was a large bay window in the south gable, dormer windows, and also a small return to the rear. A large curtain wall separated the house from the kitchen garden and orchard the east. There was a lawn to the south. Coniferous and deciduous trees, including yew, were around the house. The new twentieth-century house stands on the original site.

History

The property of the Enright family since 1966, the house was lived in by the Reverend Patrick Corbett until his death in 1893, aged eighty-seven. He was the nephew of the Most Reverend Patrick MacMahon, Roman Catholic Bishop of Killaloe, who died in 1836. The house was standing in 1841.

 

ARDSOLLUS COTTAGE, QUIN

Meaning:  Áth solus = the ford light—incorrectly called the high light according to Frost etc.

Associated families: Michel, Studdert, Blood, Blood-Smyth, Hannon

Townland: Ardsollus (Doora)

Features

The original house was a one-and-a-half storey, four bay, thatched house facing east, with a yard adjoining the north. There was a large bay window in the south gable, dormer windows, and also a small return to the rear. A large curtain wall separated the house from the kitchen garden and orchard the east. There was a lawn to the south. Coniferous and deciduous trees, including yew, were around the house. The new twentieth-century house stands on the original site.

History

In medieval times the “ford” or “high” light maintained by the monks of Quin Abbey on this property guided traveller across the nearby ford over the Ardsollus river. In the seventeenth century a court was held at Ardsollus. In the late 1850’s this house was lived in by the Studdert family. The Hannons are extensive cattle farmers and own a number of horses.

Ardsollus Cottages, Doora Drawing by Huge Weir

Ardsollus Cottages, Doora Drawing by Huge Weir

 

BALLAGH, QUIN

Meaning:  Bealach = the boundary.

Associated families: Creagh, Corbett, Murphy, Blood, Cleeve, Craig.

Townland: Ballagh (Quin))

Features

Ballagh is a one-and-a-half storey, four bay, gabled house, with dormer windows facing south. There is a twentieth- century return and a front porch, containing a large Venetian window which came from Ballyline House, Crusheen (q.v.) after its demolition, protects the front door. Stone farm buildings adjoin the north side.

History

Ballagh was in the hands of the Corbett family for many years, although in 1855 it was leased to Mr Murphy. On the death of Vincent Corbett, it was inherited by his son, who was a Jesuit priest. In 1948 Father Corbett’s solicitor sold it to Commander and Mrs Terence Cleeve (of the Limerick family). It was then sold to Bindon Blood, who shortly transferred it to R. Craig. One of the reasons why the Cleeves purchased the property was that Quin, due to the efforts of Father Vaughan, was the second parish in rural Ireland (after Bansha) to have mains electricity, a facility which they had previously experienced, and which they would have been reluctant to forego.

Updates or Additional Information gathered by Quin Heritage Group

Ballagh/Bealach can also means route or road

 

BALLYGLASS HOUSE, QUIN

Meaning:  Baile glas = the green area.

Associated families: Armstrong, MacNamara, Lyons, Lynch.

Townland: Ballyglass (Doora)

Features

Originally thatched, this long (twenty-three metre) one-storey, five bay house, with its five chimneys, was in ruins in 1837. Now slated, it was reconstructed in the nineteenth century. It has a rectangular lit front door facing over a small enclosed garden and towards the yard. There is a long row of utility buildings to the east incorporating a coachhouse.

History

Much of the original nineteenth-century furniture remains as it was when taken over by the Lynches when they purchased the house from the Lyons family. Mr Lyons (of the Barntic family married a Miss McMahon, a niece of the Most Reverend Dr Fogarty, Bishop of Killaloe, who insisted on copying a wardrobe from her uncle’s palace. This mahogany piece of furniture is still here.

BALLYHANNON HOUSE, QUIN

Meaning:  Baile na Aitneadhan = O’Hannan’s house

Associated families: Studdert, Hart, Blood, Dacres-Dixon, Massy-Westrop Hassett

Townland: Ballyhannon South (Quin)

Features

This is a spacious, mid nineteenth-century, two-storey, three bay, eaved, hip-roofed, “L” shaped house on the site of an earlier residence. There is a wide front doorcase with a simple fanlight over a double door. There is a return to the north, and a yard and buildings adjoin the rear of this fine residence which faces the River Rine valley over well-wooded parkland.

History

Taylor and Skinner, in their Maps of Ireland, record Ballyhannon as being the residence of “Hart Esqre” in 1778, but it seems that there was no substantial residence standing here by 1840. In 1878, Thomas Studdert of Ballyhannon, son of the Reverend Richard Studdert, Rector of Quin, by Mary, the daughter of Lieutenant General Daniel O’Meara, married Diana Gabbett, daughter of Thomas Gabbett of Corbally, as his third wife. He had already outlived Sarah Hobbs and Diana Vandeleur. He had children by all three of his wives.

BALLYHANNON HOUSE, QUIN Drawing by Huge Weir

BALLYHANNON HOUSE, QUIN Drawing by Huge Weir

BALLYKILTY HOUSE (MANOR)

Meaning:  Baile ua Coiltedh = O’Keelty’s house.

Associated families: Creagh, Macnamara, McMahon, Davoren, Blood, Conroy.

Townland: Ballykilty (Quin)

Features

The original early eighteenth-century Ballykilty Manor house was added to in the nineteenth century, with the present spacious, two-storey, three bay, hip-roofed, Victorian front portion. This has a central gabled breakfront incorporating an open pillared porch approached by steps to the front door. It is surmounted by a Venetian window, whereas the other front windows are two-pane sash windows. There are two strong, square bays at each end, with equally-proportioned tripartite windows on each floor. Delightfully set in its own parklands bordered by the Rine river, the house faces west. The hall and reception rooms are extremely spacious, and there are fine outbuildings and a magnificent courtyard to the rear, which bordered by the Rine river, the house faces west. The hall and reception rooms are extremely spacious, and there are fine outbuildings and a magnificent courtyard to the rear, which are approached through an elliptical-headed arch.

History

In 1661, William Creagh was a tenant of the Earl of Thomond for this property. Thomas McMahon of Ballykilty was High Sheriff in 1732. In 1780, Frances Davoren of Ballykilty married Stephen Darcy of County Galway. A member of the Blood family, whose grandfather was Edmund of Kilnaboy and Bohersallagh (Applevale), was the famous Captain Thomas Blood of Crown Jewel fame; in 1663 he plotted to abduct the Lord Lieutenant from Dublin Castle, and in 1671 attempted to carry off the Crown Jewels from the Tower of London. He was imprisoned and his estates were then confiscated, but he was pardoned by King Charles Il three months later and given a pension. His kinsman, John Blood purchased the lease of Ballykilty in 1785. The mantelpiece in the kitchen states that “These chimneys were built by John Macnamara and Honora Clancy in 1614“. The original three storey front was burned down in the nineteenth century, and replaced by the present front. Charred beams were discovered during recent reconstruction work. The blaze was caused by drying linen catching fire. In 1855 John Blood occupied the five hundred and ninety-seven acre farm. In 1878, the total Blood property was one thousand, six hundred and fifty-five acres. The house is now a country house hotel run by the Conroy family.

Ballykilty Manor, Ballykilty, Quin Drawing by Huge Weir

Ballykilty Manor, Ballykilty, Quin Drawing by Huge Weir

 

Updates or Additional Information gathered by Quin Heritage Group

The Conroy family no longer run the hotel and it is now privately owned.

BALLYROUGHAN HOUSE, QUIN

Meaning:  Baile ua Rabhacáin = Roughan’s house.

Associated families: O’Dwyer, Quinlevan, Armstrong

Townland: Ballyroughan South (Quin)

Features

Ballyroughan House is a pleasant, two-storey, three bay, half- hip roofed house with a central rectangular lit front door and facing south-east over Rathluby Lough and valley. There is a small garden in front, and the yard and farm buildings adjoin the south-west. The gate piers and their incorporated style are unusual. Interesting stone ornaments (original) adorn the garden. An identical extra bay has been added to the south-west end in 1984.

History

The old stone cider trough from here was donated to Bunratty Folk Park. Tom Steele, whose goddaughter, Miss O’Dwyer (1820) and her close relative, Bishop Dwyer of Limerick, were connected with the house, stayed here whilst reconstructing nearby Craggaunowen Castle. A friend of Mr Quinlevan, he is reputed to have executed the ceiling in the north-east reception room during this period. In 1855 James and Michael Quinlevan were in possession Of the house, and one hundred and seventy-two acre farm. Paddy Hannan (Hanrahan) who in 1843 was born in a thatched cabin on the farm, was one of the original miners in Australia and he discovered the Kalgoorlie Gold Mine in 1893. He died in Melbourne in 1925, having spent his last years living on a State pension of one hundred and fifty dollars per annum, even though he found the mine that yielded over a thousand million dollars. There is now a fine monumental statue which commemorates him in the centre of Kalgoorlie, and the main street is named after him.

BALLYROUGHAN HOUSE, QUIN Drawing by Huge Weir

BALLYVERKIN HOUSE / BALLYVERGIN (CLOONEY) QUIN

Meaning:  Baile mheirgin — the signalling place.

Associated families: Murdoch, Macnamara

Townland: Ballyvergin (Clooney-Tulla)

Features

This is a nineteenth-century, single storey, five bay, hip- roofed house, with a central fan and side lit from door facing south down a long avenue to the public highway. There is a lower one-storey return to the rear and a yard and utility buildings adjoining the north-east.

History

In 1661 the townland of Ballyvergin was leased to Matthew Lawless. By 1855, Pierce O’Brien occupied the two hundred and one acre farm, but the house was as yet unbuilt. The Murdochs are of the same family as those who lived at Major Park, Flagmount. The present owner is descended from them.

BALLYVERGIN (CLOONEY) QUIN Drawing by Huge Weir

BALLYVERGIN (CLOONEY) QUIN Drawing by Huge Weir

CLOONEY HOUSE, CLOONEY

Meaning:  Cluainadh = the paddocks.

Associated families: Bindon, Hall, Macnamara, O’Donoghue

Townland: Clooney, Clooney

Features

Originally this house was a plain seventeenth-century, two- storey, five bay, hip-roofed house, facing south-east over a park and lake, with a distant view of Gallows Hill. After being burned down in the nineteenth century it was reconstructed with framing, a pedimented one bay breakfront with a Venetian window on the first floor, and a pillared porch protecting the central fanlit front door, which was approached by a flight of steps. There were segmental-headed windows on the first floor, and plain straight eyebrows over those on the ground floor, a second storey return adjoined the rear of the house, which faced onto a yard and utility buildings. There was a fine walled garden beyond. The original driveway approached from near the castle to the south-east. The house was reputedly on an axis with Moyriesk.

History

David Bindon had been settled in County Tipperary at the end of the sixteenth century. His grandson, Henry Bindon, was Mayor of Limerick before his death in 1664. Clooney House, which became the property of his family in 1670, was the probable birthplace in 1698 of Francis Bindon, the famous portrait artist and architect, whose father was Member of Parliament for County Clare. The youngest of four sons, little is known about his early life, but he is believed to have studied his chosen subjects during his travels to Italy and other parts of Europe. On his return he spent much of his time designing large country houses such as Carnelly, Newhall and Castlepark in County Clare, and Bessborough in County Kilkenny. He executed the portraits of several of the Archbishops Of Dublin, Provost Baldwin of Trinity College, and other personages before failing eyesight made him discontinue his painting shortly after 1758. He had painted at least eleven portraits of his friend, Dean Swift. He succeeded to Clooney after his parliamentarian brother, David, died. Prior to his death, in 1765, he possibly redesigned the house. In 1855, Clooney House was unoccupied while Thomas Spaight farmed the one hundred and ninety- five acre farm. Francis’ descendant, Burton Bindon, finding his finances at a low ebb, had sold Clooney to a Mr Macnamara and emigrated to Australia with his daughter, who married Joseph Hall there. The young couple returned, re-purchased the estate, and rebuilt the burnt out shell of the house. The full property then consisted of six hundred and four acres. Mr Hall died in 1907 without leaving enough even for his own burial, although he had come to Clooney with a fortune Of nine thousand pounds. He was reputedly a gambler and his wife, a Bindon, was extravagant. The Bindon family also owned bleaching mills at Clonlara, and oyster beds near Corcumruadh. During the Whiteboy activities the Burton Bindons and the Bindon Bloods, who between them owned most of the lands in the area, were very popular and so were left unmolested.

CLOONEY HOUSE, CLOONEY Drawing by Huge Weir

Clooney House, Clooney Drawing by Huge Weir

An early 20th cent Clooney House from the Stewart Collection – courtesy of the Clare Archeological and historical society

 

CLOONMORE HOUSE ALSO CLOONMORE CASTLE, QUIN

Meaning:  Cluain mor = the big field.

Associated families: McClune, O’Henchy, Armstrong, Donellan, Blood-Smyth

Townland: Cloonmore (Doora)

Features

This was a small, long house facing south-south-west from beside the hillock to the east, on which stood the ancient Cloonmore Castle. There was a small yard to the rear with a garden beyond.

History

In 1600 Cloonmore Castle had been transferred from Murrough McClune to Florence O’Henchy. It was in ruins in 1847, but a few years later, John Donellan leased the house and its forty acre farm from William Armstrong. The house itself was in ruins by 1899 when the property was in the hands of landlord the Reverend W. H. Blood-Smyth.

CORBALLY HOUSE, QUIN

Meaning:  Corr baile = uneven ground, or the township of the weir.

Associated families: Keane, Spaight, Mahon, Gabbett, O’Brien Comyn, Burtchaell, McNamara, Quinn, O’Neill

Townland: Corbally (Clooney)

Features

Corbally is a two-storey, five bay, hip-roofed house, facing south, with a central porch-protected front door, and greater distance between the central bay and the next bays on either side, than between each of the two end sets. There is a small return. A gabled wing at right-angles adjoining the east end, which had a two-storey bay window in its southern end (built by George Stacpoole Mahon) was later removed. There was a long conservatory attached to this. The house was modernised in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. The estate, now thirty-eight acres, was bounded by the Hell river and Mågh Adhair (the inauguration place) to the east.

History

The Spaights came to Ireland from Woolwich in the reign of Queen Elizabeth I. Thomas died in 1665. William Spaight of Corbally, whose grandfather Thomas, son of the earlier bearer of the same name, (of Bunratty Lodge), was Seneschal to Henry, 7th Earl of Thomond, served at Bunkers Hill with the 65th Regiment, and was High Sheriff for County Clare. In 1784, he married Millicent Studdert of Bunratty Castle. He was in favour of Ireland’s legislative Union with Great Britain. The family also intermarried with the Gabbetts. In 1808 Poole Gabbett of Corbally married Marianne Fitzgerald of Shannon Grove, County Limerick. He was Treasurer for that county. Thirty-five years later, Thomas Spaight is recorded as being in possession of the house and its five hundred and five acre demesne which consisted of the whole townland of Corbally. In 1886, Thomas G. Stacpoole Mahon of Corbally, D.L., J.P., the only son of Charles Mahon, Esq., J.P., who was born in 1848, married the Hon. Geraldine Mary, eldest daughter of Edward, 14th Lord Inchiquin. The house is now in the hands of the O’Neill family.

CORBALLY, QUIN Drawing by Huge Weir

CORBALLY, QUIN Drawing by Huge Weir

CORBALLY House early 20th Century Photograph courtesy of  Geraldine Henn

CORBALLY, QUIN Drawing by Geraldine Henn

COUGAUN HOUSE, QUIN

Meaning:  Cuagán = the poll of the head.

Associated families: Macnamara, Corbett, Sheehan, Hassett

Townland: Coogaun(Quin)

Features

An eighteenth-century, one and a half-storey, ‘L’ Shaped, thatched house, with a four bay front, facing south, and a porch protected front door. Now the residence is of one storey, and slated. There is a small circular garden in front, trees planted to the east, and to the rear a yard and farm buildings.

History

It is reputed that Fireball McNamara died in this house in 1814. The son of John Macnamara of Moyreisk, and his wife, Margaret Butler of Castlekeale (q.v.), Francis (Fireball) Macnamara, Member of Parliament for County Clare towards the end of the eighteenth century, was known as an aggressive eccentric. Beloved of his people, he fought over fifty duels and was wounded at Vinegar Hill during the 1798 rebellion. In 1855, Michael and John Macnamara jointly owned this house and all the one hundred and seven acre townland.

CRAGGANE TOWER / CRAGGAUNOWEN TOWER, KILKISHEN

Meaning:  Creagán Eogain = Owen’s little rocky hill.

Associated families: Conroy, Gainsborough, Storine, O’Brien, Macnamara, Steele, Studdert, O’Connor, Ashworth, Redmayne, Hunt, Craggaunowen Trust

Townland: Craggaunoween (Quin)

Features

Craggaunowen is a pleasantly-sized, mid sixteenth-century tower house, with a mixture of tripartite double and single windows and slits, on a rocky height overlooking a small lake. During the twentieth century, a stone gable-ended addition was built on to the north aspect. This is an extension to the great hall, and is used for museum purposes. The upper part of the castle houses the private living quarters of Mrs John Hunt and her family.

History

Craggaunowen was built by John Sheedy Macnamara, and much later was slightly restored by Daniel O’Connell’s friend and contemporary, Tom Steele, who often preferred to sit here that spend his time at nearby Cullane . In the mid nineteenth century, the Reverend John Harvey Ashworth spent a good deal on further restoration and in making the castle a most habitable home. The demesne was then ninety acres of forest and mixed lands. Purchased by philanthropic archaeologist and historian John Hunt in 1965, it was made into a magnificent museum complex before he handed it and its treasures over to the State under the guidance and management of the Craggaunowen Trust. (The author’s wife is, amongst other representatives of concerned interests, on the Board). John Hunt died in 1977 leaving his widow, Putzel, to continue to inspire the committee and to promote the museum’s continuation.

Updates or Additional Information gathered by Quin Heritage Group

The Castle is now owned by Shannon Heritage – https://www.shannonheritage.com/about-shannon-heritage/

CREEVAGH, QUIN

Meaning:  Craebhach = bushy area.

Associated families: Woulfe, Macnamara, Scott, Meara (Mara), O’Callaghan

Townland: Creevagh Beg (Quin)

Features

The original house was probably the thatched one-and-a-half storey, four bay house, facing east, which still stands on the south side of the road, with an orchard opposite. Reputedly, however, there was once a house across the road of larger dimensions. The one described is now inhabited by the O’Callaghan family.

History

In 1709, Francis Macnamara Esq. of Crevagh was a convert to protestantism. In 1879, Fanny Eliza, younger daughter of John Scott Esq. Of Crevagh, County Clare, married Charles Comyns Tucker of Morchard Bishop, Devonshire

CULLAUN (QUIN)

Meaning:  Cuileánn = little holly wood.

Associated families: Steele, Studdert, Department of Forestry

Townland: Cullaun (Quin)

Features

A late eighteenth-century, two-story, three bay, hip-roofed cut stone house over a basement, facing north-west, with a central breakfront in which is situated the front door. Over this is a fine stone carved Steele coat-of-arms, and above it is a Wyatt window with Doric columns. At the rear of the house is a three-storey bow, with three windows on each level. The ground floor Wyatt windows on either side have Doric mullions, and inside the house there was a pillared, oval-ended hall. Adjoining the north-east was a small courtyard, beyond which stood a more substantial yard. On the north side of the drive which approached from the west, was a small chapel, sometimes used by the Roman Catholic parishioners during the penal times, and on the hill to the south stands an octagonal gazebo similar to that at Dromoland. A stone which reputedly marked the centre of Ireland before it was moved here, stood to the north-east of the house. It was recently returned to Birr, County Offaly.

History

In 1837, this house, which was built around 1782, was known as Lough O’Connell or Cullane Cottage. Thomas Steele died in 1821, and his nephew, “Honest Tom” Steele inherited it. He was the great friend and Protestant supporter of Daniel O’Connell during the latter’s promotion of Catholic emancipation. The year following the death of O’Connell in 1847, the penniless Steele tried to commit suicide by jumping off London’s Waterloo Bridge, but was rescued only to die a short while later. His body was laid to rest in Glasnevin Cemetery, and Cullane passed into the hands of his niece, Mrs Charles Studdert of Newmarket House (q.v.) In 1878, her eldest surviving son, Robert Wogan Studdert, who in 1847 had married Catherine Maria O’Brien, the daughter of Admiral Robert O’Brien, uncle of the 13th Baron Inchiquin, owned three hundred and eighty-six acres. The wife of his grandson, Loftus, born Charlotte la Touche of Delgany, County Dublin, died in 1954 and the estate was sold to the Land Commission. Mr Basil Kennedy, whose mother was a member of the Studdert family, has in his possession some interesting old Irish silver spoons inscribed “stolen from Tom Steel”. These words obviously ensured that they stayed in family hands!

Cullane House, Kilkishen Drawing by Huge Weir

Cullane House Kilkishen. A photograph taken by Stan Stewart in the mid twentieth century showing the fine bow to the rear of the house and a part of the extensive pleasure gardens with the rare Florencecourt yew, as maintained by Mrs (Charlotte) Studdert. By courtesy Of the Clare Archaeologieal and Historical Society.

Updates or Additional Information gathered by Quin Heritage Group

 Now privately owned

 

DANGAN HOUSE, TULLA

Meaning: Daingean = fortified residence or dungeon. 

Associated Families: Creagh, McMahon Creagh

Townland: Dangan (Quin)

Features: Dangan House was a long, low, two-storey, hip-roofed house with crenellations and small round turrets, which faced east towards Glenomara, with a central front door. There was one drive from the east, and another from the south which had a gate lodge and which passed over a nineteenth-century ashlar bridge. A short distance to the south of the house was a yard and farm buildings, and there was a walled garden to the west.

History: This house was one of a number of important Creagh family residences, and was in their hands since Mayor of Limerick, Pierce Creagh, moved to Clare in 1635. On his death thirty-five years later he was buried in Ennis Abbey. Originally O’Neills of the Bunratty area, the Creaghs, who have as such appeared in the Limerick records since before the mid fourteenth century, got their name from the word craobh, a branch. This reputedly stems from the time when they fought the Vikings, and carried branches of trees perhaps for camouflage. In 1738, Pierse Creagh of Dangan married Catherine Quin, daughter of the 1st Earl of Dunraven. His second wife, whom he had married in 1755, was Gertrude Maghlin of Brickhill, by whom he had a son, Robert. In 1897, Olive, daughter of Cornelius Creagh of Dangan, succeeded her brother. Six years later she married Captain Hugh Macnamara MacMahon, and a son was born. The last to live there was Mrs MacMahon Creagh, a keen horsewoman, who owned six thousand and four acres at Dangan. Her son died in 1896, aged eleven, and she had a daughter who was born in 1888. The estate was sold in the 1920s, and the house was demolished in 1948.

 

 

 

DANGAN VILLE ALSO BROOK LODGE, QUIN

Meaning: Daingean fortified residence or dungeon. (Ir.); Ville a town. (Fr.)

Associated Families: Worrell, O’Brien, O’Connell, Studdert, Martin, Wall, Porrit

Townland: Carrowroe (Quin)

Features: This residence is an eighteenth-century, medium sized, two-storey, three bay, shaped, hip-roofed house, facing south west, with a central side and fan lit front door. A longish drive approaches from a main gateway to the west-south-west, and crosses a bridge over the Boolynee river before reaching the front of the house. A fine yard and utility buildings adjoin the rear. At one time the public road passed round the house to the south.

History: In 1841, Anne Worrell of Brook Lodge married George Willis of Birdhill, County Tipperary. William O’Connell Esq. lived here in 1814, whereas by 1855 Pierce O’Brien leased the house and seventy-seven acre farm from landlord Pierce Creagh. In 1887 Brook Lodge was the residence of Nicholas Henry Martin Esq. The son of Nicholas Martin, Senior, he was educated at Trinity College, Dublin, and was a magistrate for County Clare. His total estate consisted of two thousand, two hundred and thirteen acres (rateable valuation 051).

 

 

 

DRIM HOUSE / DRIN HOUSE, QUIN

Meaning: Dairin = the little oak wood; or drom = the hill.

Associated Families: Hickey, Finucane, O’Donoghue, Hogan, Skinners, Brooks

Townland: Drim (Doora)

Features: Drin House is a late nineteenth-century, two-storey, three bay, hip-roofed residence, with wide eaves and a central side and fan lit front door, facing south-east from a small rise, and overlooking a small park. There is ashlar facing to the windows, the door and the corners of house. There is a yard and farm buildings to the rear and the remains of silvermines some distance behind the house.

History: This was at one period the ancestral home of the Hickey family, who were hereditary physicians to the O’Briens. Here they gave refuge to the friars of Quin, including their last Prior, Father Hogan, who died in 1819. The Hickeys, who translated medical tracts from Latin into Irish, are buried under the Abbey tower. In 1641, Sir Andrew Hickey of Drim married Mary Butler of Doon. In 1758 and 1759, John Finucane is given as living here. In 1793 the family reputedly became financially embarrassed and moved to County Limerick, although Patrick Hickey of Drim is recorded as being in favour of the Union in 1799. The Hickeys returned to Kilkee in 1860. In 1855, a Patrick Hickey was stated as full owner Of a small house and just over an acre ofland here. The property was transferred from the Hickeys to Charles Fitzgerald of Shepperton thirty-three years later. The present house was built by the O’Donoghues in 1870. The architect’s fees were twenty-three pounds. The O’Donoghues were of the same family as that Of Knocknamanagh. The first O’Donoghue here married a Miss Frost, whose sister married Mr Power Of Erribal. In 1875, Simon O’Donoghue of Drim Owned one hundred and fifteen acres.

DRIM HOUSE, QUIN Drawing by Huge Weir

Updates or Additional Information gathered by Quin Heritage Group

Alternative meaning proposed = acre of land;owner of a small plot of land

HAZELWOOD BALLYHICKEY

Meaning: Wood of the Hazel bushes

Associated Families: Gibbon, Studdert, McGee, Singleton

Townland: Ballyhickey (Clooney)

Features: Hazelwood was a large, two-storey, three bay, hip-roofed house, facing south-east, over a basement, with a central front door protected by a later porch, and approached by a flight of eight steps. The southwest face of the main building was of three bays, while there was also an equally-proportioned two bay return. The approach was by a longish wooded drive from the south. The ancient Hickey rath stood a short distance to the north-north-west.

History: This townland was the ancient seat ofthe Hickey family, who were hereditary physicians to the O’Briens, Kings of Thomond. Richard Robert Studdert, J.P., who was born in 1837, lived here. He was the son of Robert Studdert of Lough Graney House. In 1878, while two hundred and seventy-nine acres were in the hands of Ed. Singleton, Hugh Singleton of Hazelwood is recorded as owning one thousand, five hundred and thirty-five acres, of which three hundred and ten acres surrounded the house. He married Jane Massy of Waterpark, by whom he had a son, Edward Singleton of Preston Deanery, Northamptonshire, and of Hazelwood, which he inherited on his father’s death. Born in 1834, he married Sarah Ranson in 1866. His son, Hugh Ranson Singleton, was born in 1867. Hazelwood was destroyed by fire in 1921.

Hazel Wood Bally Hickey Drawing by Huge Weir

KEOGH’S COTTAGE, QUIN

Associated Families: Blood Smith, O’Brien (Inchiquin), Keogh, Weir, Marmac Corporation

Townland: Castlefergus (Doora)

Features: A fine example of a nineteenth-century, one-and-a-half-storey, four bay, thatched estate cottage, with diamond-paned windows, which faced south over a small garden down the Ardsollus river valley. The upper storey was lit by windows in each gable end. It had decorative barge boards. The approach was made by a long drive from the west-north-west. It was situated on a one hundred and thirty six acre farm, and a short distance to the north-west is an ancient rath (possibly that of the Slattery family) with, adjoining it to the north, a Kyle or children’s burial ground.

History: Miss Keogh, who lived with her brother until he died, was the last resident. The fifty-nine acre folio of farmland on which it was situated was in the private hands of the Lords Inchiquin, after they had purchased it from the Blood Smyth family Of nearby Castle Fergus. It was inherited by the Hon. Mrs Hugh Weir (then Grania O’Brien) of Whitegate on the death of her father, the 16th Baron Inchiquin, in 1968. It was sold to the Marmac Corporation in 1985.

Keogh’s cottage Quin Drawing by Huge Weir

KILNACRANDY, QUIN

Meaning: Cóill na cranda = wood of the stunted trees.  

Associated Families: Moloney, O’Neill

Townland: Kilnacrandy (Tomfinlough)

Features: Kilnacrandy is a one-storey, six bay, originally thatched house (now slated), with large windows, facing south. Fine boundary walls encompass the approximately one hundred and twenty acre estate, which is well-timbered with mainly beech and lime trees. The approach is by a longish drive from the south.

History: In 1855, Crosdale Moloney Junior was in possession of the house and farm. The estate was the property of the Reverend C. W. Moloney in 1920.

KNAPPOGUE, QUIN

Meaning: Cnoc póg = the hillock. (Ir.)

Associated Families: MacNamara, Smyth, Scott, Creagh-Scott, Butler, Andrews

Townland: Knopoge (Quin)

Features: A large medieval tower house, partly surrounded by an early nineteenth-century irregular crenellated residence of about ten bays, facing south. Most of the house is of one storey, with a deep two-storey wing to the east end, and a small tower flanking the south-west corner. A yard and two-storey utility buildings adjoin the west side. Masonic signs are incorporated in the walls. The house is now approached by only one drive from the north-east, but once there was also one from the west. These drives were entered through crenellated ‘Gothic” arches incorporating gate lodges. There was also a back drive to the north, and on the simpler piers of this are carved the distances from nearby towns in Irish and English miles. There is a stone circle to the north-east.

History: In 1659 and 1661, Arthur Smyth was tenant in occupation of this MacNamara castle. By 1810, Knappogue was the residence of the Scott family, although the last MacNamara owner, Francis (Member of Parliament for County Clare in 1779) did not die until 1815. The additional portion was built during the lifetime of John Fitzwilliam Scott, who married Anne Creagh of Carrigerry (q.v.) in 1847; he died twenty years later. The architect was probably either George R. or James Pain, who together were responsible for nearby Dromoland (q.v.). In 1855, Lord Dunboyne (14th Baron), the Representative Peer for Ireland in 1868, D.L., of Knappogue, owned one thousand, two hundred and thirty-seven acres in County Clare, four hundred and sixty-four acres of which- surrounded the actual house. The present holder of this Butler family title now lives in London. By 1922, the then otherwise unoccupied castle was General Michael Brennan’s army headquarters. In 1966, the Andrews family of Texas purchased the castle and developed it as a special tourist project and banqueting centre, in conjunction with Shannon Development and Aer Rianta. A great deal of reconstruction of the castle was undertaken, but most of the lands had been divided by the Land Commission.

KNAPPOGUE, QUIN Drawing by Huge Weir

 MOYRIESK, QUIN

Meaning: Migh riasg = marshy flatlands. 

Associated Families: Macnamara, Sampson, O’Callaghan, Fitzgerald, Vesey- Fitzgerald, Foster-Vesey-Fitzgerald, O’Brien, Crowe
Townland: Moyriesk (Doora)

Features: A medium-sized, two-storey, seven bay, hip-roofed house, facing south-east, with a central three bay pedimented breakfront incorporating a central stone-cased front door frame. There was a double string course between the stone- faced quoined ground floor and the brick upper section, and a large stone coat-of-arms in the centre of the pediment above the front door. On either side of the house curved curtain walls, each with a round-headed arch, linked interesting one-and-a-half storey, hip-roofed flankers at right-angles to the main residence. Each was of approximately six bays and had three dormer windows facing over the carriage halt. Offset, but adjoining the rear of the house, was a further hip-roofed portion. The front or main part of the house was almost fully reconstructed towards the end of the nineteenth century. There was a large walled garden and extensive landscaped pleasure gardens.

History: At the end of the sixteenth century the Castle of Moyriesk was the property of Donogh Macnamara. His grandson was the Macnamara Fionn who mortgaged his property to Sir Theobald Butler in 1713, The Macnamara Fionn’s son, John of Moyriesk and Cratloe, married Margaret Butler of Castlekeale. Their eldest boy was the father of “Fireball” Macnamara, an eccentric but much-loved Member of Parliament, who is reputed to have fought over fifty duels, as well as having been wounded at Vinegar Hill in 1798. Sometime after his death in 1836, George Sampson leased the house and its two hundred and twenty-six acre demesne from Lord Fitzgerald, one of the Barons of the Irish Court of Exchequer. Moyriesk then became the property of James Foster-Vesey-Fitzgerald, D.L., J.P., and High Sheriff of Clare in 1868. In 1845, James had married Henrietta Louisa Mahon of Castlegar, County Galway. In 1878 he owned five thousand, two hundred and ninety-three acres, one thousand and forty seven of which were in County Clare. He was succeeded by his eldest son, also called James, in 1893. The latter died unmarried in 1907 but his sister, Geraldine Sophia Foster- Vesey-Fitzgerald married Robert Crowe, J.P., of Toonagh, and they lived at Moyriesk for some time. She died in 1932. Edward O’Brien, brother of the 15th Baron Inchiquin, who married Lady Beatrice Hare (daughter of the Earl of Listowel) had also lived at Moyriesk in 1905.

Moyriesk House Photograph courtesy of Hon. Mrs Crofton

 QUINVILLE / QUINVILLE ABBEY, QUIN

Meaning: The townland beside the village of Quin.

Associated Families: Levers, Singleton, McCausland, Burke, Chapin Townland: Quinville North (Quin)

Features: Originally this eighteenth-century house was a plain Georgian building with a central front door, facing south-east towards Quin Abbey. In 1827 it was reconstructed possibly by the brothers Pain (see Dromoland Castle). Today it is a tall two- and-a-half storey Gothicised house over a basement. The porch-protected front door is now in a gable breakfront in the centre of the south-west end. Above it is a large Gothic window surmounted by a small square attic light. At each end of the south-east aspect are gable breakfronts with large oriel windows on each of the two main floors. Between them are three bays on the two main floors and over the second bay a wallhead dormer. Level with the bottom of the ground floor windows is a string course, and all windows have eyebrows. All the chimneys are of diagonal Gothic restoration style. At the rear of the house is an adjoining yard, and a fine two- storey range of eighteenth-century utility buildings which is approached through an arch in the south-west wall. There is a terrace in front ofthe hall door, and drives approach from the south and east. At the main (south) gate is a restored one- storey gate lodge. In front of the house to the south is a fine walled garden and orchard.

History: The Singletons were descended from John and Jane Singleton of Lancashire, who settled in Clare at the end of the seventeenth century. John’s diaries are now in the National Library. They had one son, John Singleton Junior, and two daughters. Anne married Samuel Cooper Esq. of Cooperhill, Clarina, and Sarah married firstly Richard Copley, and secondly Henry Pelham. By her first marriage Sarah was the mother of the famous American portrait artist John Singleton Copley, R.A., whose son was created Lord Lyndhurst. His pictures include a fine portrait of George Washington. Henry, who was also an accomplished artist (mainly miniatures) like his father, and Edward Pelham were the children of her second marriage. John and Jane Singleton’s son, John Singleton Il, married Marcella Dalton of Deerpark. From them descended the several generations of Singletons who lived at Quinville, including the diarist, also called John Singleton (1793-1877), who in 1855 was in possession of the forty-eight acre townland as well as further lands nearby. In 1878, Major General John Singelton, J.P., who had served at Balaclava, Sebastopol and in India, owned one thousand, nine hundred and twenty-seven acres, with a rateable valuation of £1,205. In the twentieth century Quinville became the residence of a branch of the McCausland family of Drenagh, County Derry. Major Marcus McCausland sold the property to an American, Mr John Burke of Santa Barbara, California. Quinville is now in the hands of Dr and The Honourable Mrs H. Beecher Chapin. Dr Chapin is an American and Mrs Chapin is the eldest daughter of the late 16th Baron Inchiquin of Dromoland Castle .

QuinVille Abbey Drawing by Huge Weir

Updates or Additional Information gathered by Quin Heritage Group

The house was once owned by Desmond Houlihan and is now prviately owned.

RATHLUBY HOUSE, KILKISHEN

Meaning: Ráth lubaidh = the fortified homestead on the slope. 

Associated Families: Molony, Massy Molony, McGann, Bridgeman, McMahon

Townland: Rathluby (Quin)

Features: Rathluby House was an eighteenth-century, rectangularly shaped residence, facing north-north-east over Rathluby Lough. The yard and utility buildings stood to the west, and to the south was a large water-garden. The front of the house was approached by a drive from the south-east. Another drive approached from the south where there was once a gate lodge at Sadleirs Cross.

History: In the mid eighteenth century, James Massy Molony of the Cragg family, whose father Andrew Molony died in 1724 and whose mother was Arabella Massy, lived here with his wife, Susanalva Molony. They had one daughter. In 1799, St J. Bridgeman Of Rahloba (sic) was in favour of the legislative Union of Ireland with Great Britain. Henry Bridgeman is shown as leasing the property from Eliza Piercey in 1855 (Griffith) together with almost one hundred acres. A tombstone in Kilseilly graveyard (Broadford) records A colonel  George Frost, I.M.S., in memory of his uncle Thomas Bridgeman of Rathluby d. 1894. Above the words is a shield parted per pale with the Bridgeman arms on the sinister (left) side. There is also above the shield the family crest. Nearby is another stone: Henry and Eleanor Bridgeman, Al Wall and Ames Wall. Henry’s brothers: William, Winter and Carre 1714. The Bridgemans had been in the area since circa 1659 when Henry Bridgeman was Tituladoe of a number of townlands in Killuran parish to the north-east. At the turn of the century, Rathluby was acquired by James McMahon of Newmarket House and the house no longer remained occupied. The property is still in the hands of the McMahons.

RINEVILLE, QUIN

Meaning: The township by the River Rine. 

Associated Families: O’Halloran, McCarthy

Townland: Rine

Features: Rineville is a nineteenth-century, two-storey, three bay, hip- roofed house, facing south-east, with a central front door which is protected by a large square, flat-roofed porch. There is a twentieth-century return to the north-west, and at each end of the house are one-storey, canted bay windows. In front of the house there is a large circular rock-garden and a number of ornamental trees. There is an orchard to the east and a small yard and utility buildings stand fifty metres to the north-west. A longish drive approaches from the south.

History: Thomas O’Halloran resided in this house at the turn of the century. Owning the house until the mid twentieth century, his family were members of an old Thomond Clan connected with the Macnamaras, and who included leading historians and religious amongst their number.

RINEVILLE, QUIN Drawing by Huge Weir

SNUGBORO HOUSE, QUIN

Meaning: The snug place. (Eng.)

Associated Families: Hewet (Hewitt), Westby, Healy, Liddy

Townland: Snugborough (Tomfinlough)

Features: Originally Snugboro was a thatched, one-storey, three bay house, facing east with Snugboro Lake to the south. It is now slated, and there is a twentieth-century, two-storey wing to the south-east which makes it shaped. Possibly there was at  one time a more pretentious house on the site, of which little or nothing remains. If so, it was demolished prior to the mid nineteenth century. There is a small yard to the rear of the present house, and a much larger yard and utility buildings built early this century stand about five hundred metres to the north-west. The two hundred and twenty-five acre estate includes a large area of parkland on either side of the long drive, which approaches from the north-west.

History: In 1689, Viscount Clare (Daniel O’Brien) wrote from Cork ordering Donough O’Brien of Doogh, Deputy Lieutenant for Clare, that Bindon Hewit and other protestants be confined. It seems that Hewit was then living in Clarecastle. In 1656, the Earl of Thomond’s rent roll records Thomas Hewet as having received the tithes of Moyasta and Kilballyowen in Moyasta Barony, while eight years later he was occupying the lands of Ballycorick etc. in the parish of Clondegad. In 1766 Henry Hewitt of Snugboro, County Surveyor, executed maps for Sir Lucius O’Brien, and two years later he did a major county Survey. In 1799, the Hewitts had moved to nearby Ranahan Castle and the house and two hundred and twenty-six acre farm were leased by William Westby, the landlord, to James Healy. It is now in the hands of the Liddy family.

TOONAGH HOUSE, QUIN

Meaning: Tamhnach a green field.

Associated Families: Miller, Judd, Blood Smyth, Conheedy, Power

Townland: Toonagh (Clooney)

Features: An eighteenth-century, two-storey, four bay, gable-ended house, facing south-west, with a mouth organ lit front door in the southernmost of the two central bays, and a larger square window beyond. The upper floor windows are smaller than those on the ground floor. There are four evenly-spaced chimney stacks of which two are in the gable ends. The house was originally shaped with a return to the north-east. To the rear is a yard and utility buildings, beyond which is an old watermill and an interesting dovecote. The approach to the house is by way of a fine nineteenth-century ashlar bridge over the Hell river to the north-east. An earlier narrow seventeenth century thatched house on a north-south axis stood some distance to the north, and there is an orchard to the north-east. The farm consists of seventy-two acres.

History: Toonagh House was an early residence of the Miller family of Ballycaseymore. In 1799, John Miller, of Toonagh, signed a petition in favour of the legislative Union of Ireland with Great Britain. He was the son of Henry Miller of Toonagh, who, in 1765, had married Elizabeth, younger daughter of Thomas Morony, B.L., of Miltown Malbay. John Blood Smyth leased the farm from William C. Judd in 1855, but the house at that time was unoccupied. He was probably the John Blood Smyth of Fedamore, County Limerick and of Ardsollus who was shortly to marry Minnie Spaight of Derry, County Tipperary. Toonagh House is now the residence of Mr and Mrs Michael Power.

WELLPARK COTTAGE, QUIN

Meaning: Park with the well. (Eng.)

Associated Families: R.C.C., Meere

Townland: Ballyhickey (Clooney)

Features: Wellpark is an early nineteenth-century, medium-sized, two-storey, three bay house, facing south, with an extended front west bay. A yard and utility buildings adjoin the rear. Wellpark is situated in a pleasant wooded garden. The house was reconstructed and re-embellished in the twentieth century.

History: In 1837, Wellpark House was the residence of the Most Reverend Dr MacMahon, Roman Catholic Bishop of Killaloe. It later became the parochial house and is now in the hands of the Meere family.